Let me tell you about my first ever catering gig/party :D
It was held Feb. 12th (two days before Valentine's Day). Julia (the bride) had already told me about her likes and dislikes. I also met with her fiance, Eric (who I didn't like at all being really snobbish and stupid). Julia is really too good for him. All he did that day was list the items he did not want to see and they were like 100!
Anyway, my grandmother and Emma helped me a great deal. I couldn't have done without them so thank you so much Emma and Granny :)
The party was held at Julia's parents' house. They have one amazing REAL English garden. Julia told me she was bringing a small band as her friends and the fiance's felt like dancing.
Number of guests = 50
I made up a lovely menu. I had also agreed with Julia I would set the place up for her. I know a thing or two about decoration. Emma did more in fact and I really liked her taste. Julia's favorite color is lilac and almost everything that day was in lilac including table cloths and decorations. She just loved it. I also made Emma in charge of anything wine-related; from purchasing to food pairing. I don't drink and don't know that much about it :) And thank God, Julia didn't want pork on the menu. I know how to cook it, but I hate its smell and again, I don't eat it.
Back to the kitchen. Here's my humble menu:
Appetizers and Salads
Asparagus Pasta Salad
Taboulah (of course! And they loved it!)
Fried Chicken (she begged me for it so what can I say?)
Salmon and Spinach Lasagne
Chips and Fish (by demand as most English adore it)
Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables
Desserts (next to the Engagement Cake which I proudly baked)
Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
Chocolate Mousse (yes, by now you realized how Julia LOVES chocolate!)
And of course there were many non-alcoholic drinks as well.
Julia didn't want any waiters or waitresses at the party except for someone to pour drinks for the guests at the small bar and another someone at the buffet. She insisted it was a friendly gathering and she wanted nothing formal about it.
I just hired a waiter for the bar and watched the buffet myself.
I'm still sore, believe it or not. I hadn't slept for days before that and didn't rest a minute that day. I'd thought about calling the whole thing off and had cried right before the party.
I went there in a pink coat, black pants and a black scarf around my neck. Yes, professional and classic.
The party was great. Julia was really pretty and her friends were really nice. I was even asked if I could cater other parties :D I also met someone really interesting there *wink* but more later.
But I also earned a good sum amount of money.
If you like any of the dishes I mentioned above, I can email you the recipe. But then I'd have to kill you. Kidding. Just tell me.
The personal blog of a not-so-typical half English/ Egyptian girl in her 20's rambling about her life, friends and everything else. Don't read if you can't handle her dark sense of humor or moodiness.
Friday, February 16, 2007
Tagged by Kareem and Raghoooda- Things you don't know about me
- For some reason, I can't cry when the lights are on. It has to be dark. I have no idea why till this day.
- I am allergic which is why I can't smoke. I smoked for a couple of weeks though last year and I might take it again.
- If it weren't for smoke, I think I'd actually like men who smoke.
- As a kid, I was a sport maniac. I probably played five sports at a time. May be more.
- I can never sleep if I hear a single sound/voice even I'm too tired. It has to be really quiet.
- Like Kareem, I can't whistle. Never did and never will.
- I hardly cried from the age of 7-12 that I even thought crying was abnormal and not for me.
- Since the age of 13, I have cried quite often actually.
- I've never said it but I think I love staying in England more than I do in Egypt.
- I don't have many friends in real life.
- I have many online friends.
- I love buying lingerie.
- I met Ahmed El Sa2a (the Egyptian actor) and we talked for minutes. He was really nice.
- I don't mind being single.
- If I don't have my morning coffee, I can bite, roar, yell and do anything else.
- I'm told I have really pretty hands.
- I used to be quite skinny.
- Now, I'm over weight.
- I never prank-called anyone.