The personal blog of a not-so-typical half English/ Egyptian girl in her 20's rambling about her life, friends and everything else. Don't read if you can't handle her dark sense of humor or moodiness.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

I'm really *mad*. After writing a long post here last night for a whole ONE HOUR, I lost into cyber space. When I clicked "publish" something wrong happened and my entry was lost forever.

So, here I am again trying to re-post what I did last night.

I loved my trip to London. As a matter of fact, I'm seriously thinking of settling there soon. It's lovely (really cold though). There's so much to see and do there.

And of course I took some wonderful pics there but lost my digital camera on the way here which really upset me.

I went to some amazing places:

Chinatown London

Covent Garden Market (mom insisted on going there)

Hampton Court Palace (OMG! I felt I was in some royal movie there. It must feel so good to be a princess/queen :) I didn't want to leave EVER)

Tea Palace (for some afternoon tea. Tea time is sacred for the English.)

Porchetta (great pizza!)

Harrods (of course, where else would I go shopping? We were there for hours)

Windsor Castle

Sherlock Holmes Museum

Kensington Gardens

Why don't we have parks and gardens like that here in Egypt? Where could one go unwind and relax? The pollution here is unbearable cos my allergy is back again. I had no allergy or sinus there! We have the lovely Nile here, but just look at its color. The color of bitter death.

Anyway, of course so much happened there and I'll try to blog about it all. Granny was super nice. I enjoyed talking with her.

And so much happened when I got here. I got this email from an American friend of mine 2 days ago. Let me quote a paragraph she wrote:

"I'm thinking about going to Egypt soon. Our gov. here has been warning us. They say we, women, shouldn't walk alone on the streets or in crowded places. Sexual harressments/assaults are normal in Egypt nowadays as I've heard. How do you protect yourself there, dear?"

Me? No comment.

11 comments:

Sou said...

London seemed great!

Bas 7a2ollek 7aga 3ashan I know how frustrating it is to lose everything you write. Right before you hit the 'publish' button, copy everything you wrote and paste it in Word or Notepad, et voila! ;)

Can't wait for more updates!!!

Mystery said...

Sou, I had a feeling my entry would be lost and even though something inside kept telling me to copy the damn post, I didn't :-(

I'll update you soon ;)

Anonymous said...

My sister went to Egypt once, and it wasn't so much the sexual harassment /negative attention from males that really bothered her, but the sexist nature of how she and her g/f were treated as single females going about there business.
Some in Egypt still seem to have the idea that females are lesser beings incapable of acting individually without a male to accompany them or do everything for them.
At stores or restaurants they would spend time counting the money she was paying and often complain it was to much or to little when it was exactly the right amount. Same thing when traveling on buses and the like.Like a woman isn't capable of simply paying for her food. :)

Sou said...

I am very much used to this attitude from foriegners most of them do not have a clue about what is going on here. I say every society have its weak points but its inhabitants are very much used to it. Same is the case here.

I really loved your blog and thank you for dropping by mine.

Asrar El Banat said...

WoooHooo! So u visited Hampton court palace! Gr8 place, told ya so :p
Dont tell me u lost ALL pix???
:(
ps: as 2 ur friend, u can tell her that egypt nowadays is like chicago at night...not safe..
but nevertheless, still egypt!

Coconut said...

i second u about why no gardens and parks here in Egypt? though we've lots of spaces and areas that can suit well for that.
it's not only a european trait, in Arab countries they also have gardens: in Morocco many gardens and parks where people just walk, excercise,walk their dogs,romantically astray. I loved it:)

Mystery said...

Durendal: Yes, sadly some people still think that here. Thanks for dropping by. And by the way, Egypt is still a lovely place to enjoy and live in. I'm not complaining :)

Syehia: Thanks and hope to see you here more often. I enjoyed your blog, too. How are you feeling now?

Asrar: Yes!! And I remembered you when I was there :D I'll make sure to tell her that. Take care.

Raghoooda: I'm half Egyptian and have been living here most of my life so I DO KNOW we have parks and gardens here, but look at their state! We have no green here. I knew green when I was in England. The pollution here is simply too much and the gov does nothing about it. We should have more parks and lovely places to go.

Coconut said...

you inspired me to do something here in Egypt as enviromental project, i've the tools and international support.
if you're in Egypt & interetsed in the idea , let me know ;) we can do it together.

El Amira el Masria! said...

Am glad you enjoyed London, but seems as if "the grass is always greener on the other side." I do love London, but am mad about Egypt aswell! (I too am Half Egyptian, half British!) when i read that you're seriously thinking of moving over here, it made me laugh...i would do ANYTHING in the world to be in Egypt, i love it uncontditionally...i'm madly, stupidly in love with Cairo...my friends are worried about me, i love that place so much. Yet my Egyptian cousins long to live in London, and i long so badly to live in Cairo, it's crazy isn't it? Yeah, i admit, the pollution in Cairos crazy, but Egypt has so many other amazing factors aswell! As a girl living in Cairo, could you possibly please give me any advice, as i'm hoping to take a gap year there next year insha Allah...many thanks! x

Mystery said...

Raghoooda: Well, I may have to leave Egypt again soon. Lots has happened and everything is upside down here (more later). I don't have much free time and I'm afraid I won't be able assist you or go through with this project of yours. I wish you all the best :) cos we really need such awareness in Egypt.

Amira: I can give you lots of advice. I used to spend much time in Alexandria though. Insha'Allah you'll love it in Cairo. It can be fun here. Cheers.

Coconut said...

no prob. mystery, u id the most important assistance,which is inspiring.
good luck in ur life anywhere