The personal blog of a not-so-typical half English/ Egyptian girl in her 20's rambling about her life, friends and everything else. Don't read if you can't handle her dark sense of humor or moodiness.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Yes, I'm still here. Mom has found out about my blog as well. I don't mind it at all. As a matter of fact, I told her she should check it more often since I don't always feel like telling her everything :P

As for me, I'm still looking for a nice place to work. Is that too much to ask?! I have got a few offers, but there was always something about the place (and by that I mean restaurant) or the chef that upset me. But I'm not losing hope.

And so just then, my cousin Emma phoned and told me about this friend of hers who was having a small engagement party. Since it hadn't been expected, she had no idea what to do. She is not that rich either and could not afford too much, but at the same time she wants something really nice.

Emma told her how a great chef I was and that I could cater the whole PARTY for her!!!

I absolutely froze in my place when she told me about this. She was so happy she did and I was so nervous that I started going around in circles and finally tripped over and fell on my face. Serves me right.

Anyway, of course I had to say yes. This is my chance and not just that, but I could not disappoint 1. Emma (who so believes in me) 2. Julia (the girl whose party I'm catering) and 3. Me as I deserve to do this.

I have no plan yet. I have to get ready pronto as I only have TEN DAYS left and I've just learned there will be around 70 guests! She said they were only 50.

I already have a menu in my head, but I need to sit down with her and discuss her likes and dislikes and anything else regarding food. And her bloody mobile is always off.

But let me tell you before I forget about the psychic who read for me and Emma. We were sitting at some old coffee shop when this weird-looking woman approached us. I don't mean weird as in strange or freaky, but she looked like psychics you see in the movies or rather like a goth. Anyway, she asked if we were interested in a reading. And mind you, she had been sitting reading and had asked no one but us. May be because Emma and I look young and idiotic? Have no idea really.

But the thing is Emma was so excited and agreed right away. She told us she would give us two readings for 15 pounds and Emma told her she would pay only ten. The woman agreed.

I said nothing and the woman realized I was eying her from head to toe skeptically.

First she told Emma that she had two younger brothers. Now how the hell did she know that? She could not have heard us as we hadn't mentioned them at all earlier and she couldn't have known her as Emma did not live in the area.

Anyway, she told her stuff about the one she liked.

She turned to me, "Would you like a reading?"

I said OK.

She told me I come from very far and that my parents do not live with me! Then she proceeds to tell me about what I like and she told me things would get much better for me. She also said there's a great chance I might find the one for me in 2007 and described him a little.

She turned out to be really interesting. She even started telling us about herself. So, we ended up friends.

Have to go now. Salams!

9 comments:

Sou said...

Wow! Catering an engagement party! How exciting!!!

As for the reading, well wow, that's freaky, seriously. And ya rab you'll find the interesting Mr. The One, who knows! hehe

Oh yeah, and not to forget, Hello Mystery's mom! :)

KareemFromEgypt said...

psychic ya mystery??

dah kalam dah...

so how does he look? and do you plan to limit yourself to the description she mentioned? i find that not the rightest of all decisions

congrats on the catering gig, i have been away for a while i gotta admit, el mohem i'll go now.

i'm not sure how i'd take my mom finding out about my blog, but then again my blog is of a different tone as you mentioned before.

anyway, keep writing :)

Coconut said...

mystery: good luck with the party catering. this sounds so cool and inspiring,may be it'll b eur first step twoards being a famous chef;)

like Kareem, i can't take my parents finding out abt my blog, it would make me write carefully and not revealing much.

woooow, psychic!! though i never tried it but sounds scary and i don't like t limit my life to their readings,however, nice to promise you of mr one in 2007;
keep us posted how it went

Mak said...

Great. This could be your break into the biz. Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.

I'd probably change my blog address if my mom found out about it, but it's great seeing someone who doesn't mind.

As for the psychic, I'm always skeptical. No matter what they say. I bet she told you he'd be tall and handsome. Right?

Sou said...

I am pretty sure you can handle it and hopefully it will work out fine for the three of you.. As for the psychic I know some bazzare is needed sometimes

Jannah said...

I'm so happy you got your first opportunity! Mabrooook
inshAllah you'll prove your talent and it'll be a great success :)

btw I've just been to my first cooking class and had lots of fun... I do hope that I'd finally learn how to cook, it's like a huge challenge for me!

Coconut said...

hey mystery, any updates? hope you're doing great in the preparartion thing :) good luck

Mystery said...

Sou: You're so cute ;)

Kareem: I didn't take her words seriously tab3an ya Kareem, don't worry :) It was fun though.

Mak : :)

Sarah: I'll blog all about it now :)

Jannah: Thanks! And I hope you'll be able to cook like Chef Emeril one day ;)

Raghoooda: Hey, sweet girl! Will blog about it sooooon.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's crazy! im half brit and egyptian too, i also studied business and IT and now im head chef & creative director for a chain of restaurants in Kuwait..I happened across ur blog via a search i was doing in google.. anyway best of luck to you!